Charles River Keel

by Steve on May 22, 2012

Last night I cleaned all the old latex (bad no-no) paint off the original keel and poked holes through the new canvas to re-attach it before final painting. I had to fill several screw holes that went all the way through the keel from the previous canvas job. The screws were too long and they were steel sheet rock screws. Those got replaced with appropriate bronze flat heads. The screws holding the rails were also steel and #12’s not the normal #8’s – they will also get replaced with bronze although they’ll have to be #12’s now. That’s over $40 in screws.

Instead of traditional marine bedding compound, which will eventually dry out and crack, I’ve started using 3M 5200 to install keels – they’ll never leak!

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post:

Site Meter